Saturday, March 23, 2013

ala "Much Ado About Nothing"

One of the things that most of you don't know about me is that I spent most of my adult life in the Theatre.  No, I'm not famous.  For the most part it has been "Community Theatre".

But I've done a lot of it.  I've been in over 230 productions . . . 43 of which have been Shakespearean productions.  One of his plays "Much Ado About Nothing" has a line in it that refers to my current situation.  Here it is (from memory so it might be a slight misquote):

"There was never yet philosopher that could endure the toothache patiently."

So here it is almost 7:00 in the morning and I've not had a jot of sleep thanks to a very nasty toothache.

. . . And I am not enduring it patiently . . . particularly since it is a weekend and I won't be able to see a dentist until next week.

So what am I doing for it?  Besides some (not particularly effective) pain-killers, I am rinsing with hot salt water, rinsing with hydrogen peroxide (followed by several water rinses once the foaming has stopped) and using a spray local anesthetic.

They all help; but the pain is still there . . . and I'm not even a philosopher.

-- Jeff

6 comments:

A J said...

I'm sorry you're suffering toothache, Jeff. As an elderly aunt of mine used to say "It's one of those pains you can't get away from." Oil of Cloves is an old folk remedy, so I pass that tip on for what it's worth.

Bluebear Jeff said...

AJ, I forgot to mention that I'm also using Oil of Oregano . . . which is a natural anti-bacterial (although rather "hot" in the mouth).


-- Jeff

Archduke Piccolo said...

I was about to suggest Oil of Cloves myself - having recently suffered from toothache on account of a cracked tooth (I was lucky it wasn't an abscess nor that the fissure seemed to go as far as a nerve). The only thing about O of C is that it tastes almost, but not quite, entirely unlike cloves. And it makes you salivate like a vampire in a blood bank. But it do knock back the pain. A bit.

Kelroy Was Here said...

Hang in there. "This too shall pass." Easy for me to say, I know, but it's true nonetheless.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

My sympathy Jeff, especially since I have an abscess myself at the moment.
I don't believe everything off the net but I have found some home remedies that have worked a charm for me. In addition to making sure the salt water is hot, and applying heat packs to my face, I have been applying a poultice in the form of a hot tea bag, as hot as you can stand it without scalding yourself. Apparently the heat draws the infection upwards away from the root and thus lessens the oressure which casues the pain. Its been working for me anyway.

John Y said...

Just had a tooth extracted last week - you have my sympathy.

I hope you can see a dentist sooner rather than later.

-John