Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Colonial Lead Arrives --

One hundred and twenty-odd Ral Partha Zulus appeared in my mailbox today. When added to previous shipments from Great Endeavors (who have the RP Colonials at great prices), gives me enough troops to begin my Colonial Campaign . . . well, they will once they're painted.

(click on the photo to left for a closer view; click twice for a better view of some of my Ral Patha "small 25s" guarding the Colonel's daughter who found herself in "a spot of bother" a few years back.)

Oh, I don't have nearly enough Dervishes (or Pathans, for that matter), but I figure that I can "flesh out" the Dervishes with Pathans (and vice versa) for a while. And at least now I've now got most of my Pathans painted.

Although I guess I should start calling the Pathans, "Pashtuns", which apparently is a more correct term.

Anyway, now I've got to paint bunches of Dervishes and Zulus . . . but I've almost got enough troops painted for the "Training Game" that I hope to run soon. All I need to finish is some civilians (I'm using Boers) and mules and muleteers. So hopefully that will happen relatively soon.

-- Jeff

7 comments:

abdul666 said...

You know, you could do a 'training game' (and more if 'hooked') with Saxe-Bearsteiners in tricornes, Golconda / Industan fashion...

Die alte Aechzener said...

I believe that Eureka (?) have recently released a new Maori range, perfect for colonials .... mwahahaha!

A J said...

Dervishes and Pathans together? Your world, your rules! Looking forward to seeing the new metal painted and in action.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Responding . . .

All of my tricorne troops are element-based, while TSATF is for single-figures . . . and while I suppose it could be worked around, it really wouldn't feel the same.

My Ral Parthas are "small 25mm" (close to 1/72nd plastics) and are dwarfed by "modern 28mm" troops. And my figure budget can't afford further stresses.

Normally I wouldn't mix the Pashtuns and Dervishes . . . but until I get enough figures painted, I might have to . . . *sigh* . . . at least they're both natives in turbans.


-- Jeff

MurdocK said...

You may have 4 loaded mules as my donation to the cause Jeff.

They are on fender washers painted and flocked already.

I also have some Belgians (done from the Soldiers of the Queen - Sky Galleons of Mars set) that are sandy red flocking on them (the surface of Mars of course) to add into the mix.

When is the painting session?

marinergrim said...

You can never have enough of those foreign chappies. Especially those that were never civilised enough to learn to beat us at cricket!

quindia said...

Wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award!

http://quindiastudios.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-first-blog-award.html

Congratulations (or sorry to inflict this on you)...